Monday, November 28, 2005

Suburban Socrates?

I can't be Urban Socrates anymore as regards teaching, because I'm teaching in the 'burbs now, on the South Shore in Massachusetts. I still live in this "gritty blue-collar town" though, so I'll keep the name.

It's been a dramatic change from teaching Hispanics, Russians, Albanians, Africans, etc. to teaching (mainly) middle-class Irish American kids. Future entries will contrast teaching in an urban setting with the suburban setting I'm working in now. Also, I'll complain about the commute, which is considerable (1 1/2 hours each way) The job has been worth it though, as I've regained most of my sanity. First complaint: How the hell can I tell all these Patricks, Brians, and Seans (and Erins, Colbys and Megans) apart!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home